Zaphodbx42

Discussion in '3.0v2' started by Zaphodbx42, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Zaphodbx42

Zaphodbx42

Okay... just finished reading through that lengthy post...

I have to say, I'm pretty much good with just about everything listed on there.

A recommendation if I may. I agree that towns have been on a serious decline, there's no arguing that. But how about a "different" approach, rather than completely eliminating them?

Perhaps (and this is totally dependent on it being something that you guys can program in,) allow a player to put down 5 small sponges (say size 15's) all clustered together in a "+" pattern. That player then builds the housing himself on those plots with the center block being the "Town Hall" type building. The surrounding 4 plots are housing. The player (builder) can then designate a sell price for each of those houses for other players to buy (1 plot per town). When / IF all 4 plots sell, the player can then designate (buy) a town registration LEVEL 1 at the town hall and add "X" amount of new plots. Rinse and repeat for continual growth of a town.

Furthermore.... as for a towns taxes, since there will finally be a "minimum" coin value applied to items now (THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR THAT BTW!!!) the town founder can place crops on each of the plots. Wheat, carrots, beets, etc... which can be gathered by the plot owners (or founder, due to absentee players) and donated at the townhall. Their value can be deducted from the tax bill. I.E., a towns monthly tax is say, 1000 coins. The 4 players donate a total of 350 coins worth of crops. That leaves the founder responsible for 650 coins taxes now instead of the full 1000. For the plot owners cooperation, some sort of reward could be made by the founder... perhaps a couple diamonds in their mailbox... or maybe distribute materials from the town hall storage... w/e works.

okay.. enough on that... like I said... toooooootally dependent on something like that even being able to be programmed in.

Clonegirl and PandaChristina like this.
  2. Zaphodbx42

Zaphodbx42

I'd just like to add...I suggest the town founder builds all the buildings is.. so he won't end up with a jumbled mass of ugly...

One of the main reasons I've never bothered to join any towns over the years on this server is because there's always people who end up putting up "dirt tents" on the plots around your well built structure. Or you end up building a nice house that matches the theme of the town, and someone comes along and builds a grotesque semi-modern-ish crap-tastic art deco monstrosity next to your plot. Kinda ruins the desire to be in a town. This way... a theme can be maintained.

3. PandaChristina

PandaChristina Moderator

I really like ideas you have in this post, though the main frame you seem to have here is going to be possible with subsections in the sponges. We wanted to more get rid of the business type outlook on towns and the toxic environment that people had when it came to competing against towns. You should be able to make a town and organize it much better than you could with our current town system, and it should cost much less and work much better as people will most likely make the town members mostly exclusive to people they trust or value. Are there any really specific parts of the current town system that you think we shouldn't scrap?

GiantNuker likes this.
  4. Zaphodbx42

Zaphodbx42

Well.. my line of thought was that if you recall in past server forms... remember how 10+ people would all start towns, and they'd claim huge swaths of land that ultimately much of it never got used? Additionally, each town would only end up with about a dozen members joining it, which resulted in hardly anybody meeting the 30+ requirement.

In what I proposed above, potential towns have a much lower threshold to "become a town," that being 1 founder and 4 members.. but would also have the opportunity to grow like an actual town. That being after reaching the initial threshold, the founder adds to it as each "Registration Level" would allow.
    1.)This prevents entire regions being claimed and left unused.
    2.) People who want a town have a better chance of making 1 and ultimately growing it with people that wish to become part of a town..
    3.) Founders establishing a minor reward system for "ACTIVE" participation in maintaining it.
    4.) Helps the founder maintain a specific theme (modern/ roman architecture/ midevil/ etc..)
    5.) Founders can advertise their towns now with their Level. "Come join butterball city, a level 3 town!" (let's others know it's a well established town.)

As for the sponging...allow me to clarify. It wouldn't be a subsection thing... The founder would simply place 1 central sponge upon which he would build his "townhall." (Maybe a new command of /set_townhall) The founder would then place 1 sponge on each of the 4 sides of that central sponge, upon which he would build his first 4 houses which other players could purchase.(with a /t_setprice amount) (/t_purchase) When all 4 houses are bought, then (and only then) can he register for his level 1 town. After he gets his level 1, the founder could then purchase 4 more sponges to place along any edges of the now existing town to build more houses for sale.

5. PandaChristina

PandaChristina Moderator

Hmm, this is an interesting idea. Let's see what other players think of this post.

6. Blinksi

Blinksi

It's an interesting idea, but ultimately way to complicated if you ask me. What happens if someone that has a plot in the middle of the town suddenly leaves? do you lose levels? how are the plots taken away? does this create an unprotected hole in the middle of a town? It just raises a lot of questions for me.

7. Zaphodbx42

Zaphodbx42

Hey Blin..
    If you mean leaves as in gets banned from the server.... or just fails to log in anymore... I'd say the best thing would be for the "sponge deterioration" thing that being kicked around in other posts would be the best result. After X amount of unattended time, the server kicks the player from the sponge, and it reverts back to it's "For Sale" status. Or at least to the Founder, who could then Re-List the sponge for sale.

If anything, it could be left as is... the Founder gets an In-game mail notification of said unattended status, and can then just /modreq and have the sponge reclaimed.

And as I mentioned above regarding taxes, the founder still has claim to the plot as well to harvest crops... so there's that.

As for losing levels, nah, the town achieved said level, it should be retained.

8. Blinksi

Blinksi

okay but let's say you have 20 people and 5 of them that have a plot in the middle of the town all leave and it forces your town level to go down. And now you have too many plots for your new level, so the server needs to delete some. Doesn't that just create a big hole in the middle of your town?

9. Zaphodbx42

Zaphodbx42

Okay, I'll be more specific...

I'd say the best thing would be for the "sponge deterioration" thing that being kicked around in other posts would be the best result. After X amount of unattended time, the server kicks the player from the sponge, and it reverts back to it's "For Sale" status. Or, at least to the Founder, who could then Re-List the sponge for sale.
    If anything, it could be left as is... the Founder gets an In-game mail notification of said unattended status, and can then just /modreq and have the sponge reclaimed.

As for losing levels, nah, the town achieved said level, it should be retained. The founder just wouldn't be able to grow the town any further until those abandoned plots are re-sold.

Other than the programming to make something of this nature happen, (if it's even possible in the first place, as I mentioned in the OP) I'm not seeing any complications.

10. Clonegirl

Clonegirl

Really good discussion here. I like a lot of these ideas, even as a person who's never really lived in a town. Especially I like the idea that one can have or live in a small town with a few people. This creates so much more flexibility in appearance and purpose for towns. So often I see people calling for someone, anyone, to join their towns because they can't meet the quota of X-amount of people. I feel like being able to create a small place to hang out with friends is so much better than begging many people to join your town for no other reason than just filling a quota.

I can see a small issue ( and perhaps you covered it) arising when loads people want to join a town but the sponge-per-day cap arrives and no further sponges can be built. In the past I've been able to donate coins to new shops to help them get on their feet but no amount of coins would allow a tier-one town to scale up to the next level if the sponge cap is reached. This could even occur when the town is attempting to, say, build a large structure such as a museum or mall. Progress and interest would decline if this happened. It's not so much of a flaw with your plan, Zphodbx, as much as with the possible changes to the server.

In case it interests you, here were some of my thoughts concerning towns (it utilizes the current-world-state mechanics of this version of Johnnywoof).

11. PandaChristina

PandaChristina Moderator

Hopefully, this shouldn't be too much of an issue, as the staff has discussed @Blinksi's idea of a "Server Town", and we've really come to like the idea. Otherwise, the time limit is going to much more flexible than people are making it out to be (as we've also narrowed it down to about 4 hours because of so many forum posts with decent math to back it up) and people should have more than enough space to build a town and a shop where they want it, as long as they're able to build and design it so it connects nicely.

12. Clonegirl

Clonegirl

Awesome! Good to hear! Thanks for the reply. :)

PandaChristina likes this.