Town Changes

Discussion in 'General' started by Blinksi, Jul 24, 2017.

?

Do you agree with these changes?

1. I agree with all the changes

2. I agree with most of these changes

3. I agree with only one or two of these changes

4. I don't agree at all, towns should stay the way they are

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Blinksi

Blinksi

Town finances
    You may have noticed there was a lack of towns in 4.0 and that most towns were owned by people who would spend a lot of time accumulating money to be able to offer residents a tax-free experience.. any town that could not afford to be »tax-free« would ultimately fail and go bankrupt.
    I believe the main focus of towns should be building, having fun and offering a big variety of different towns players can choose to join.

My suggestion here is to keep the price of making a town (5k) the same but lower the upkeep and prices of claiming land. 100$ for claiming chunks and 5$ daily upkeep per chunk would make managing a town for normal players much easier and would allow them to focus more on building their town rather than looking for ways of financing it and keeping it up.

Town information
    I have also come across many players that were planning to make a town but had no idea of the actual costs of maintaining and protecting a town other than the 5k required to open one. So since most players were not aware of just how much money a town takes, a lot of towns would quickly close down.
    I think this could easily be avoided, by making an info board about towns at spawn, giving players a quick tutorial on how a town actually works and what it takes to manage one.

Town communication
    My final suggestion is about communicating within a town, I think everyone would like to see town chat work same as a party channel. So you would only have to type »/tc« command in once and it would keep you in the town channel until you switched. I have also found a lot of players leave towns simply because there is no option to ignore town chat. So I think these 2 changes to town chat would greatly improve the experience of being in a town.

Quick summary of changes suggested
    • Prices of claiming a town chunk should be lowered from 250$ to 100$
    • The price of daily upkeep per chunk should be lowered from 10$ to 5$
    • An info board should be placed at spawn teaching the players how to manage and take care for a town.
    • Instead of having to write »/tc« every time you want to talk in town chat it should work like a party channel where you only have to type it in once.
    • »/ignore add tc« should be added to town chat, allowing players to ignore it.
    I think we all want to see more towns on the server in the future, not just ones owned by the richest of players and we should work on that and try to make towns great again.

Feel free to add your opinions and suggestions in the comments;)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  2. PandaChristina

PandaChristina Moderator

As a person has been with towns for about two years non-stop, I have to say I love most of these changes!
    Also, the communication board is actually there at /spawn if you look in the town portals area.
    I support all of these ideas heavily, and I'm pretty sure some of the changes were actually intended to be added but just weren't high on the priority list. I don't think that the daily upkeep price should change because it's a pretty heavy filter on real town with people who care and people who just went on a whim and weren't dedicated. Otherwise, the chunk price per is pretty expensive and could use a little deduction. Otherwise, I love this! <3

Copper_Lord_101 and Blinksi like this.
  3. Blinksi

Blinksi

Thank you, I do agree that there must be a filter to prevent people who are not serious about towns from starting them in the first place, that's why I suggested keeping the 5k starting price the same. While the town info board is there, it sadly lacks and doesn't include any helpful information about towns other than requirements for a town portal.

PandaChristina likes this.
  4. Maddog033

Maddog033

Love it.

5. PandaChristina

PandaChristina Moderator

Yeah, true!
    Unfortunately, I've had a lot of experience with players who made the town with the 5k considering how quickly you can get it when voting twice a day, and how generous some shops/players can be amongst the server. I think it would be fine to lower it to maybe 8 coins at most. <3

6. red_stoner62

red_stoner62 Developer Admin

@Blinksi I agree with the upkeep point but lowering both that and the chunk claim cost just seems counterproductive. I could do the upkeep suggestion, but I'd want to increase the cost to claim chunks to balance it out

7. Blinksi

Blinksi

I think lowering one price and raising the other is really doing nothing for anyone. Sure it might make the cost a bit lower in the long run, but the change is insignificant in the end.
    I think if one has to be chosen it should be the cost of claiming chunks. town owners are already really limited with claiming land, which forces them to cram as many small plots together as they can, raising that would only lead to even smaller plots thus fewer people interested in towns. Small taxes on plots is something players can look through, but a small plot can be a dealbreaker when people are interested in joining a town.
    Sure there's always that one town with millions in the bank, where everyone lives carefree, but that's not an option for the rest of the playerbase.

It might look like I'm writing this suggestion for my own benefit, just cause I'm lazy and don't want to pay as much for a town. But the truth is, I've already owned a town both in 3.0 and 4.0, I'm not planning on owning one in 5.0.. I'm writing this suggestion for all the new owners that are yet to make a town. I don't want to see most towns go bankrupt in a month or two just cause they couldn't keep up.
    There were times when I as a town owner was struggling and had no idea how to come up with the money. I was supposed to take care of my shop, clean out plots, make new ones, landscape my town, help players and then at the end of the day come up with 2k just to keep it all up, it was such a frustrating experience that I just let the town die near the end of 4.0

Anyway, in the end, this is just a suggestion and what you choose to do with it is 100% up to you and I will respect it. I hope you can tell I am writing this because I truly care about towns and the state they're in. Maybe I could have written my arguments better, but this will have to do since I am not a native English speaker.

8. Copper_Lord_101

Copper_Lord_101

Hello, I just saw this and thought that I mine as well give my view on this. I have been a Town Owner since 3.0, and I have very much enjoyed it. I love to be with the people in the town, build and just have fun in general with the people. Since 3.0 I have had 5 Towns in total. 4 of those went bankrupt. I always want to keep it so there's absolutely no taxes or fees for anyone in the town (Unless they buy property), but, thats very difficult to do being the price for chunks as well as upkeep. Since the beginning of 5.0 about a month ago, there has only been one major town. I have seen multiple towns come and go in a blink of an eye. That does not mean that all the towns went bankrupt because they ran out of money. There is always a town here or there where the owner is not on very much or there is just not enough to go around. I was planning on retiring permanently because of this subject, until recently I noticed that "there's still no other towns..." so I'm working on my own town to get some variety... Anyway I guess my point would be the same as Blinksi's and Pandi's. Towns are just way to expensive to run with the prices that we currently have. Thank You very much for considering this change!

9. CarsonK_

CarsonK_

I aggree

Copper_Lord_101 likes this.
  10. Neofizz

Neofizz

People with zero money management skills will always say towns cost too much no matter how cheap you make them. Couple that with the freeloaders and you have a guaranteed recipe for failure. Make them absolutely free and you get a server littered with broken down towns that are nothing more than a waste of space. You can't win no matter what you do.

11. Blinksi

Blinksi

I completely disagree with you on this, the point here is not to make towns free it's to make them more manageable for people creating them.. there's a lot more to towns than just making sure you can pay for one, and the high cost is taking focus away from the creative aspect of it.. Many of the previous and current town owners (me included) agree with me, and I wouldn't call any of them "people with zero money management skills" as you put it.

12. Neofizz

Neofizz

I'm not saying that you, Blinksi, have zero money management skills. You're second from the top at the moment which says something. A town is supposed to be a challenge, not a walk in the park. Proper priority decisions are needed. Having a group that works to support it is key. Some enjoy the challenge. Personally, I don't. I'm here to enjoy the game, not be enslaved by it. And besides, I always felt too cramped in town sized spaces. In the end the cost of a town is the management's decision.

Overall, I don't agree with how much you are suggesting the costs be lowered.

13. Blinksi

Blinksi

I assume you haven't managed a town before and think the monetary barrier is the only challenge of owning a town. The real challenge is building a town itself, managing public spaces, gathering residents, advertisements, gathering resources, coming up with a trustable staff team, just the overall management of the plots themselves is a huge challenge.
    The pricing is not a challenge it's a chore! how can you do a good job of managing your own finances when taxes have become nothing but a tabu and players will not join your town if you expect them to pay for it? there is no real management to towns anymore, except for cramming people as much as you can.

The prices may look low to you, but my belief is the prices should be manageable for someone who isn't a donator. You shouldn't have to be a donator to be able to manage a successful town.

Also, the prices are a suggestion and are up for discussion obviously.

14. Neofizz

Neofizz

You assume wrong.
    I only disagree with the money suggestion.
    Town citizens not willing to pay are not dedicated enough. Voting daily earns them more than enough to pay. Don't need to be a donator for that.

15. Blinksi

Blinksi

You're not getting it, no one is willing to pay taxes anymore. It has become the norm. You think 600$ daily is enough to own a town? it's not even nearly enough.
    I'm still convinced you've never truly owned or managed a town and you really have no idea how it is.

16. Neofizz

Neofizz

Management will decide.
    Good night.

17. Selttiks

Selttiks Moderator

To be fair, I've been donating upkeep to the town im in with no problems whatsoever, with only about 2 real hours of activity on the server/ my struggles in hearthstone can vouch for that ;p

18. Neofizz

Neofizz

Beware of the Instant Gratification Monkey (on your back), with an appetite that can never be satisfied because the more you feed it the hungrier it gets. It has the ability to take down servers because satisfaction of a job well done is never experienced by feeding the IGM. Instead, feeding the IGM is more like an addiction that seems nice at first but eventually goes terribly wrong, not just in the game but IRL as well. Also, making it so easy that everything you can possibly do is done in two months leaves nothing but crickets for the next ten months.

I've never single-handedly owned a town. It's always been a group effort. A town is supposed to be a group effort.

If the management chooses to make it so easy that it becomes a one person show then so be it. It will not effect me.

19. Blinksi

Blinksi

So what if a single person runs a town? so what if someone makes a town for him and his friends? There are tons of kids playing on the server and yeah sure they might not be the best with money and they might not be the most organized. But so what? stop trying to make it sound like towns have to be this grand thing that only a few of the richest and most organized players are entitled to.

You're talking about how towns won't have anything to do for the next 10 months, what's the difference if there aren't any towns at all?
    Why are you so against the idea of more people being able to own towns and having fun building them when in the end it doesn't even affect you?

20. PandaChristina

PandaChristina Moderator

Both of you guys make great points, but at the end of the day considering there is no real "official" town that runs itself, paying for a town can become very stressful- And what's the point of running a town in a game if you're not having any fun?

Plus, some changes are going to be changed thanks to this thread already, so there's no need to argue. We're pretty much meeting in the middle of these arguments to make towns a little less costly but still fair. <3