Tokens

Discussion in 'General' started by Wailwulf, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Wailwulf

Wailwulf

There was a time I could buy a three use spawner pickaxe for credits only (/buytemp or something like that). Now I need Tokens. However most have no idea where tokens come from. They come from Admins, but when was the last time I saw an admin on the server? It has been a very long while.

(I am not complaining about admins not being visible on the server on a regular basis, just stating what is. I am very aware of real life and understand not being readily available on a moments notice)

My criticism is that the implementation of Tokens as a way to award players, has caused a vast possibilities of awards to sitting on the self gathering dust. To award tokens where they become useful, would require admins to be online on a regular basis, and keep an eye and ear out about players who have done deeds and actions to be given Tokens, and that is a lot of work.

My suggestion is, how about awarding a Token for ever time one votes for the server, one token and 300 coins each vote. This would give players a consistent and stable way of earning tokens to be used to accquire items such as the Spawner PickAxe x3. Admins could still award tokens to players as they see fit, and the token requirement for items could be raised (or lowered) so a player through consistent voting could earn an item such as the Spawner Pickaxe once a month or so.

I would think such a change should be fairly simple (VOTE = 300 Coins + 1 Token), but we are talking about coding and sometimes the simplest seeming thing to a nopn-coder is the most complex thing for a coder to do..

PandaChristina likes this.
  2. WolvesOfTheSky

WolvesOfTheSky

I'd love to see tokens actually being used and given out a lot more, however maybe instead of it being one token per vote have it be every 10 or even 15 so that they're still rare. Of course with them being more readily available, certain items might require more coins (for example the spawner pick)

You could also possibly give them out as a highest voter of the month reward. Maybe a certain amount of tokens for the top 3-5. This would make them still rare, but obtainable. Yes the current ones are obtainable, but they are handed out very rarely.

3. Wailwulf

Wailwulf

Yes, I am aware there would be a need to rebalance the Token cost for items, such as the spawner pick. If you get just enough tokens by voting every single day to buy a spawner pick, or a lumberjack axe, or something else once a month, would mean making choices. But it would also be dangling the want for tokens and the definite recieving of tokens.

By using voting, the Admins do not need to work getting tokens passed out, but they could still do so if they choose.

4. PandaChristina

PandaChristina Moderator

I do support the idea of achieving tokens through voting, it is a good idea! I have to agree with Wolves and say that maybe for every 8-12 votes you get a token. Also, giving them out as a monthly reward is a great idea, we'd have to discuss the specifics of that for each winner.

5. Wailwulf

Wailwulf

Well, I would think giving a token every 8 to 12 votes is more complicated then giving one per vote. Easier and simpler I would think of raising the Token prices for items then doing a fractional token payment.

But what ever way the developers prefer

6. red_stoner62

red_stoner62 Developer Admin

This is all the changes to the spawnerpick you can purchase in buytemp. From the initial commit it's always required tokens because spawnerpicks are supposed to be hard to get. Values were tweaked along the way because at some point we meant to introduce a daily challenge you could complete like mining 20 iron or something like that, which would net you a token. I'd be down to discuss lowering the values or working something else

Code:
    diff --git a/src/main/java/me/red/custom/item/ItemSpawnerPick.java b/src/main/java/me/red/custom/item/ItemSpawnerPick.java

--- a/src/main/java/me/red/custom/item/ItemSpawnerPick.java

+++ b/src/main/java/me/red/custom/item/ItemSpawnerPick.java

@@ -35,11 +35,11 @@

@Override

public List<String> getLore() {

return Collections.singletonList("SpawnerPickup II");

}

@Override

public int getTokenCost() {

-               return 20;

+        return 10;

}

@Override

commit bcd22ac6cb83af00954f66c4ac329be527d4b45d

edited token costs, changed sponge purchasing, added start of daily challenge

diff --git a/src/main/java/me/red/custom/item/ItemSpawnerPick.java b/src/main/java/me/red/custom/item/ItemSpawnerPick.java

--- a/src/main/java/me/red/custom/item/ItemSpawnerPick.java

+++ b/src/main/java/me/red/custom/item/ItemSpawnerPick.java

@@ -35,11 +35,11 @@

@Override

public List<String> getLore() {

return Collections.singletonList("SpawnerPickup II");

}

@Override

public int getTokenCost() {

-               return 5;

+               return 20;

}

@Override

commit 203638340dcabc96882f62fd491df42a86c55cc3

Lots of changes to the custom item system

diff --git a/src/me/red/custom/item/ItemSpawnerPick.java b/src/me/red/custom/item/ItemSpawnerPick.java

--- /dev/null

+++ b/src/me/red/custom/item/ItemSpawnerPick.java

@@ -0,0 +35,11 @@

+       @Override

+       public List<String> getLore() {

+               return Collections.singletonList("SpawnerPickup II");

+       }

+

+       @Override

+       public int getTokenCost() {

+               return 5;

+       }

+

+       @Override

7. Wailwulf

Wailwulf

It is all Latin to me in what you have written, but if a solution is being worked on, I am Happy. Thank you.