TheShibaDog

Discussion in '3.0v2' started by TheShibaDog, Jan 20, 2018.

1. TheShibaDog

TheShibaDog

Update​
    I read the whole update and I agree with a lot of the changes. Putting a limit on the sponges is a great idea. I'm a little Iffy on the coins being all connected throughout all servers, but I think it should be fine. Making lazy people not go to shops is also a good idea. The option of where they can just click on something and be able to buy a stack of something for a price of an extra 10 coins is genius. It sounds like amazon or USPS service, but the person that is selling the product gets the money. There are a few parts that I have to comment on, so I will put that below.

Sponge/Chest removal after time: I still think there should be a removal of a plot of land after a certain amount of time. If a person has not been on for a while, the sponge should disintegrate or disapear. This is the same with chests. This is only a option if the sponge cap is still not effective.

Harder in the Nether: The Nether still feels a little too easy for some people. In this game, there are mobs to make the game scary, and in the Nether should be the scariest place. But to donators, the nether isn't that scary. The Black Skeleton and the Herobriane can be countered by just putting a block in front of it in a mountain and hitting it till it dies. So maybe there can be some changes there??? Just a suggestion.

Unique in shops: I was a shop owner for 2 to 3 years and I stopped being a owner of a shop because there is too much competetiveness and if you weren't at the front of the portal room, then no one will notice your shop. So what I usually do at the beginning of each reset is I grind to make a shop, get 5k to buy a portal, and then make myself known by making the cheapest prices. I completely agree with the cap being 10 gold lower. After the 1st week after the reset this year, I bought a shop portal and immediately sold my Diamonds at 20 coins when people were selling them at 35-40 just so that my shop will get known. But the problem with the economy floor being capped is that there is no way to make a shop unique. Of course you can have a counter argument saying that you can just have good design, but good design in your shop wont sell stuff. There is no advertising on this server either, so there is no way of getting your word out unless people in chat are asking for something and then all the shop owners try to get that one person to go to their shop. What I am trying to say is that Shops can't sell stuff if they are not unique. So my proposal to this is to have a cap on how many shop chest a certain person can have, which in my opinion is 30. I don't know if this is even a viable option, but this is the only option I can think of. I hope you will consider this.

Shop portals: It is always a fight to get the 1st spot at the portal room. So to fix that, I would like to propose to have 3 shop portal rooms and when you type /shophub, it will randomly send you to one of the rooms. If you do this, then people have a chance to explore other shops. Usually the shop with the most customers is the shop that is right in front of the /warp or the entrance portal. In those 3 shop portal hubs, it will be round and there are 10 shops per room. If a person likes a shop, that person will be able remember that shop, or if a donator, do /warp to the shop. This way, all shops have a fair and equal chance of customers.

I hope you consider this and I am really excited for all of this to be implanted!

PandaChristina likes this.
  2. red_stoner62

red_stoner62 Developer Admin

Thanks for responding! Let me go point by point:

Sponge/Chest Removal:
    That could definitely be something we look into, especially because we as staff have to remove the old ones ourselves currently.

Harder in Nether:
    No clue what could be done without overriding mob AI which isn't really something I want to do

Unique in Shops:
    Undercutting everyone's prices is a good way to get noticed but at the same time it sends a message to every other shop owner that they should lower their prices too, and then the economy degrades. At that point, it's easier for people to just go out and buy diamonds than go get them themselves and that's when the game gets too easy and people get bored because they finish everything and have nothing left.

The price limiter is just a limit on how low an item can be priced so that people don't finish/get bored as fast as they did at the beginning of 5.0

As to your statement about 'No Advertising', you know that only applies to websites and other servers right? You're more than welcome to advertise for your shop in the 'Trade' channel of chat.

For limiting the number of items shops are allowed to sell, shops shouldn't be forced to grow if they want, and most of of the bigger shops are run by multiple people and require more work as a result, I don't know what more to say about this.

Shop Portals:
    So this was a hard thing to balance out, and something that you can actually notice from version to version. Every reset we struggle with how to build the portal hub because we're 100% aware that the ones that aren't right at the front don't get as much of the attention or the business. The GSI was created for this purpose, since the featured section will pick shops at random to display and won't have anything to do with placement or items and place them right at the front of your view.

We've also considered building multiple shophubs like you described where you spawn in the center of a circle and can go to any in the ring

TheShibaDog likes this.
  3. TheShibaDog

TheShibaDog

I read the response and I agree on most of the things that you said. There is one topic that I still want to touch and it is the shop chests.

Shop Chests:
    About having the shop chests being limited, I agree that you shouldn't force a shop to grow if they want. But at the same time, it is hard for a shop to hold its uniqueness if there is 1 store that sells all the items at the lowest price "cough Walmart cough". It gives the smaller stores no chance to grow or have customers because all of the customers are going to that 1 store. I experienced this 2 years ago when I got my 1st shop and it was at the back of the portal room. The reason that I got no customers is probably because my portal was at the back of the portal room. But I believed even if I got it at the front I couldn't compete because the shops there had cheaper and more variety of items in their shops. For now, I think having the changes in the portal room is good enough, but maybe keep this in the back of your mind in case you see one shops or a few shops dominating over a lot of smaller shops.

Other than that, focusing on the shops, having low prices is a good way to get noticed, but I also felt bad for the economy when I did that. So like I said in my rant above (lol), the shop portal room being round is a great idea. It gives a lot of the shops more of a chance to actually be noticed than the current setup. Maybe instead of having the warp to be at one side of the circle, make it into the middle of the circle. And about the advertising, I completely forgot we had a trading channel. I'll go check it out when I have time. I like where these changes are going and I can't wait to see them put into action!

4. GiantNuker

GiantNuker

The economy has cycles. If everyone buys the cheap diamonds, people have to go get more. Simple.
    Sponge removal: Mabe, but players should be paid the cost of the sponge when it disappears, and they should be notified that it will soon be removed, and when it is.

5. Selttiks

Selttiks Moderator

The issue is, the economy on the server does not cycle, as people dont buy out chests of diamonds. and even when people do, the person is just "Q.Q Gotta mine more" instead of raising the price in reaction of it happening a couple of times.

6. Zaphodbx42

Zaphodbx42

How about for the /shophub front back issue... when you do your /warp shophub... it /rp's you in to the shop hub... maybe you appear in the front... maybe the back... maybe somewhere around the ring... that way, it becomes less of an issue as to "what shop is right infront of you" when you enter. To ensure this, make the room completely enclosed, so the only entry is with the /shophub.

7. PandaChristina

PandaChristina Moderator

I really like your idea of the sponges deteriorating, even if it's a bit harsh. We were discussing the possibility of disabling a sponge after a certain time of inactivity, which might be a better way to do so. Maybe even automatically having all locked items unlock once the sponge dies out as well. +1 On something involving that in the future!

TheShibaDog likes this.
  8. GiantNuker

GiantNuker

A good idea, but mabe chests should be kept locked so the owner could get them.

PandaChristina likes this.
  9. Selttiks

Selttiks Moderator

Mods are on fairly often and you shouldnt be claiming an area just for free stuff cause chests. The chests should stay locked and ataff can dispose of the items. The general rule for currwbtly taking over areas is that all the chests get emptied out first

Clonegirl likes this.