SlandersPete - Because I can

Discussion in '3.0v2' started by SlandersPete, Jul 13, 2019.

1. SlandersPete

SlandersPete

Sponge Changes
    • For those reasons (among others), starting in the new version there will be a limit placed on how many sponges you can buy. When you join for the first time, you’ll be able to buy up to a size 150 sponge (Sponge size limiters will be removed). From there you’ll have the ability to buy another 10 sponge for every 8-10 hours you spend online. You can buy those sponges immediately or build them up to buy something bigger like a size 50 sponge. Alternatively you’ll be able to purchase additional area through the use of tokens, which we’ve committed to making easier to get finally.
    I am one of those people who likes to buy a 100x sponge and place it right outside the spawn area. If it takes a super long time, should I just build my area like normal and report to the mods of anyone placing sponges and claiming stakes on my unprotected land? It shouldn't be a problem, but there are always reasons for expansion of bases and possible trolls.
    • In addition, due to the decreasing interest in towns and the diminishing usage of them as actual towns (no taxes because if you have taxes no one will join, treating them just as a building area, etc) we’ve come to the decision that towns should be removed altogether. However, replacing this rather large part of the server will be a system to subdivide a region into multiple plots in the same manner. We’d like to replace it with some sort of other thing, so if you have suggestions let us know!
    Towns were nice for some people who just wanted something small, but they did become more of a building showcase area. I personally bought a large area in the towns and created large ships for decor. Hope you find/found a good replacement.

Economy Changes
    • With more opportunities for coins, we have to scale back some of the old ways of making money, which isn’t to say that you can’t still make money on survival, but we encourage you to get out and try our other servers.
      • It seems like a lot of money gathering on the server is just focused on standing in front of huge mob grinder for hours, so coin collection from mob grinders will be capped to something along the lines of 45 coins per minute (we tested, on average it’s currently ~65 per minute with the exception of the huge blaze grinder which is ~150/min). Anything more and you’ll still get the drops but no additional coins.
    I know there are people who spend 8-22 hours sitting in front of grinders. I kinda want to become one too. This is like 90% of where coins come from. Mob grinders need to be nerfed somehow.
    • Minigame plays will give anywhere from 50-200 coins per play depending on your rating, and how long the game takes, with a bonus if you win. Creative will have more build competitions with rewards of ~1k-5k per for the winners.
    Personally, I probably won't play minigames.
    • Chest shops are always wildly successful, but since shops generally try to undercut each other to a lot, the price of everything always drops, ruining the economy and allowing everyone to buy everything super cheaply, causing people to complete all their tasks in mere months and lose interest.
      • Proposed: Chest shops will incur a monthly fee depending on the number of chests in the shop. For example, ShopStore has ~200 chests, and since it’s a large store would be charged more (~10 coins / shop sign). A small shop of 30 signs would be charged much less (~2 coins / shop sign). This fee would be taken monthly, and doesn’t dramatically impact anyone, since the fees are quite small. Late payments would have until the end of the next month to be paid, and could be done automatically, instead of waiting for staff. We’re still on the fence about this one so let us know what you think.
    You should make a solid rate of charge. 10 coins per sign on all shops. This makes the curve from small shop to big shop pretty fair. Many shops usually get by the minimum by gathering rarely bought, useless items like flowers and fence posts and sticks. The method would work, but it should be done at a constant rate instead of increasing per chest. A shop with 30 chests would be charged 300, a shop with 300 would be charged 3000, monthly.
    • Since shops undercut each other, as stated above there will be minimum prices set for items at the beginning of the map. Players will be allowed to go under that set price by ~10(?) at max, to prevent economy collapse. These prices can change as the map goes on, feedback is helpful for this one, though it will most likely be implemented to some degree
    Can there be a market meeting every now and then to determine what items might be worth? As time goes on, coins generate faster than they disappear, so the economy usually fails regardless, it would be good to have the minimum price, but it should be able to be discussed in meetings between shop owners every now and then. Those who show up to meetings get a say in it.

2. Wailwulf

Wailwulf

Sponge Changes
    "you’ll be able to buy up to a size 150 sponge"
    "10 sponge for every 8-10 hours"

150 sponge is better then 100. I suggested 200 Sponge at the start of the game because the limiting factor was earning enough coins to be able to place them. At the start of the game there are multiple directions to be pulled, earning coins to buy sponges, earning coins to open a shop (if a shop owner), building one's base or shop, harvesting supplies...

I came to a point of deciding to raise coins to place sponges and garnering the supplies for my base. By the time I had 4000 coins to place two 50 sponges (and having 3 other places in mind for sponges) my sponge bank was at 130 (or 140). After placing my third sponge, it was no more a matter of having enough coins, but became a matter of having enough available sponge balance.

The four hour wait for 10 additional sponges did a few things to how I played. One, I spent most of my time on Mine world and killing every living creature/mob I could find to earn coins. When possible selling some of the drops (hide/meat mostly) for additional coins. the other thing I did, was when I called it a day, instead of exiting, I just went AFK and let the server boot me just so I could earn those few extra minutes in hopes of adding to my sponge balance.

Extending the wait time for additional sponge from 4 hours to 8 or 12 hours to me completely removes the benefit of adding the extra 50 sponges at start of the game and makes the situation (to me at east) worse then what it had been.

The limiting of coins earned at grinders just adds to it, which I feel in itself is doing the same thing as increasing the time limit to 8 (or 12) hours) instead of 4 for sponges. If the nerf on grinder coins is not enough, instead of increasing the hour limit for sponges, how about raising the price to 50 coins per sponge? (Sponge 100 costs 5000 instead of 4000), that in itself would slow sponge aqusition, and cause players to consider where they want their coins to go.

I understand the reasons for sponge limiting, (I like to think of my self as a land developer who always wants more land to develop), but Personally I would remove the Sponge Limiting, Nerf coin earning at the grinders, and increase the price of sponges as a way to control land grabbing.

SHOPS
    "Proposed: Chest shops will incur a monthly fee depending on the number of chests in the shop."

I am not a shop owner, but I am assuming you are talking about the number of chests one buys items from, not the chests that are locked from other players (i.e. Chests used in the sorting system)

"Can there be a market meeting every now and then to determine what items might be worth?"

Suggestion, Either on the Forums here or on Discord, have a Forum/Channel which Shop Owners can access after paying their shop fee. Trying to actually get folk to meet over different time zones and different days of the week is nearly impossible. Using the Forum?Discord would allow them to discuss over a longer length of time allowing more Shop Owners the ability to have heir say. Advantage of Discord is there could be nearly instantaneous discussions. Advantage of Forums, matters of discussions can be separated by thread.

Clonegirl likes this.
  3. Clonegirl

Clonegirl

I agree with much of what @Wailwulf is saying. To perhaps assuage any fears you might have, many of these pointers posted for the past server update were not implemented (example: time to purchase 10 sponges was 4 hours I believe). There were also at least three towns this past server so I don't think they will be disappearing completely any time soon. I like the idea of having a "Shops" or "Economy" folder here on the forums that people can contribute to. Also, I still think that having a more level, circular layout of the shop hub would help even the playing field for all shops (a player wouldn't have to walk a kilometer to get to a lesser known shop--the power being in the visibility of the shops). Basically everything else Wailwulf discussed are my thoughts as well.

4. Wailwulf

Wailwulf

I joined during JW 4.0 I believe, and the shop hub was a semi circle, two levels. It was very easy to go from shop to shop. The last two servers, the shop hub is confusing, having to re-orient every time I returned to the hub. The last two shop hubs have been confusing when entering and exiting shops, as there are no distinct landmarks. The "kiosks" of the shop portals look like the other "Kiosks". the only difference is some have the ability to have four portals, others only three, and the only way to tell is to run circles around each kiosk. So nearly every time I exit, it all looks the same and am not sure which way I came earlier.

:D