Is JW going to survive?

Discussion in 'General' started by SlandersPete, Jun 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. SlandersPete

SlandersPete

I left back in 4.0 for college reasons. I had thought I might return to see a wonderful world even bigger than in which I had left. I have returned to barren lands lacking of souls and color. I checked the forums to see if there could on the horizon be a glimmer of hope that the developers were working on the inner workings. Yet that seems to be not of the case. Hopefully the server shall regain the color and people it once had. Truly it was a unique server unlike any I had seen before, one I had searched for for so long and will likely not find another of its kind.

2. Nimbus2224

Nimbus2224

Perhaps I could be of assistance here. I suspect the server seems "dead" due to the approaching reset in July. In years past activity typically slows starting in mid-May to June. I'm not sure what the precise date of reset would be this year, as it is typically broadcast a week or so prior to the reset itself. To see more people I recommend coming back later in July so the reset will be completed. You will likely see upwards 20 people on the server at a time as the shops will be rebuilding and the various heavy-builders will be at work.

My hope is that the server will curate more players with this update that allows for a longer period of time/season. This current, 2019 season began around October, I believe, which confused some people and may have caused others to take a break. Also, while I cannot speak for everyone, I personally am not always able to regularly spend time on the server due to my current work schedule. Ironically, in college my friend @Lucrata introduced me to the Johnnywoof server and I would play 2-3 times per week but now that I've been working time has been more limited/uneven.

Anyways, I hope this helps and gives you a little more info on what the server's dynamics might be. I know a lot of people got dispirited by seeing some people of donator rank not return this season (possibly due to some new server rules), but in the short times I've been playing there have been new, non donator players arriving and sticking around.

BeardoBob and SlandersPete like this.
  3. Lucrata

Lucrata

I could speak along the same lines as Clonegirl.

Though time may not be our ally in this, what matters more is that we persist and remain as a part of it's community. In that, I have no fear of degradation nor lack. The leisure and creativity offered within JW is it's own reward and value.

SlandersPete and Wailwulf like this.
  4. Blinksi

Blinksi

While leisure and creativity are all good and that, the matter of the fact is this.. Servers cost money, money is generated by donations from an active player base and not just an active player base but a player base that continuously grows. An old player can only donate so much money before he stops, so even an active player base of the same pool of people is not enough to keep a server running longterm.

Now I certainly don't claim to know the financial status of Johnnywood, but honestly just seeing how the server keeps getting more empty each year without any real efforts being put into realizing a constant flow of new players into the server makes me personally think the well is going to dry out sooner or later, maybe not today, maybe not this year, but sooner or later it will get to that point. We're all getting older, our lives are all getting a bit busier each year and a new, younger player base is what will keep the server alive for a long time to come.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019