I Know the New World is Coming...

Discussion in '3.0v2' started by Wailwulf, May 26, 2018.

1. Wailwulf

Wailwulf

I know the server is about to upgrade in a month or two, and I I have a few late ideas to throw into the mix.

I first started my MultiPlaying Minecraft in early 2016, and it was February/March of 2016 that I found the JohnnyWolf Servers.

I have realized I am the type of player that does not like constant change, I prefer a stable world that does not get made over constantly. But I do understand that a world that is stagnant will just die and have no players on it.

In early 2016 there was about 4 months left to the server's life when I joined, and was unaware for the first two months. However with the lack of population, I looked forward to the next server start, as seeing all these empty, and unfinished houses and projects was a bit depressing.

July 2016, the world ended and was reborn. I found a gorgeous tract of land and worked on claiming it for my own. Built a base, claimed a few towns in the vicinity, and then built my home along with a Vaction Mansion to the North.

I connected my villages and homes with a road system that soon covered a large portion of the server, I had even connected to the road system of 49Midgets, and then built more beyond.

Now, when I started all this, the server world was only 20,000x20,000 (-10,000 to 10,000)blocks in size. Minecraft put out a patch, and the server was re-sized to I believe to 30,000x30,000 (-15,000 to 15,000). This way the new game upgrades and Lamas could be included on the server.

Now, when we came to the current server, for me a number of things happened that gave a hit to my interest in playing Minecraft.

1st, the change completely wiped out everything I had built and was working on. To me, a years time just doesn't seem to be much time to get things done. With the current server, I started to feel like, "why start building, it will be gone in 9 months."

2nd, the server, instead of being 20,000x20,000 in size (which felt big to me anyways) was suddenly a whopping 60,000x60,000 in size, a 900% increase in area (if I did my math right) for roughly the same population size on the previous servers.

What I would suggest, would be a few things:

1: start with a smaller server size, initially. One can always increase the world size if the population increases dramatically. This would also give room to expand if there are patch upgrades like the Lama patch that appear down the line.

In my mind's eye, the server could start at 10,000x10,000, in a week or two, increase to 15,000x15,000 if the population is really that much or have a land rush where players could prepare to occupy. What happened to this current server, to me at the beginning was it was so open, that everyone completely spread out and unless they as a group went into developing their area as a community, there is no community. For me, on the previous server, I got to know my neighbors, for they were my neighbors. Currently, I have no neighbors as we are not restricted into being closer to each other.

2: Run the server for two years instead of one. Starting with a smaller server size, means you can expand the world during the official patch releases, but having a built central core in the world. Sort of like a manifest destiny in Minecraft. I remember when I ran across people's projects on the first JW server I was on, and they had moved on, it felt like finding ancient history on the Minecraft world. But just as they give a sense of history, we wipe the world and start anew.

Just my thoughts and ramblings of what could be done.

2. Wailwulf

Wailwulf

Addition: To the server world being too large, I just came across a Mesa Mines complex with numerous MineCarts & filled chests and 3 spider spawns, and then a swamp with two Witches huts that were untouched.

3. Clonegirl

Clonegirl

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. The world can feel rather large at times. I have attempted to build a road between my makeshift town and my 'main base' and am somewhat stunned at how long it's taking (poor planning on my part). I can also attest to finding multiple main-world dungeons, mineshafts, and other loot areas untouched. However I mostly attribute this to my friends and I being something of explorers---constantly branching out and wandering around. I actually enjoy running across these things in the over world, it makes building grinders and finding rare loot a bit easier when the mineworld is so cleanly picked over at times. One good memory I have is of a friend and I coming upon an igloo someone had booby-trapped in the overworld with an arrow and firework generator. If discovering it wasn't fun enough, the utter surprise and terror of not knowing what was going on as the room was filled with fireworks was hilarious (in hindsight). ;D I also enjoy finding towns in the main world and I knew a few players actually would use the town as their base and build it up from there.

I always come to lament the end of the server. I understand the reasoning behind it, like you do (i.e for the patches or new updates), but never have fully completed a project. I've been playing on this server since 2013, I believe, and have never finished a full build due to always seeming to get over ambitious (and start building towns and such). :p However, personally, if there was a choice I would rather work on a server that was operational than one that still had my old builds on it. Would I prefer a reset in something like every three years instead? Yes, absolutely. I approve of large projects like people's shops, towns, and road systems. Especially since this server has a great mining system, I feel the main world can remain unblemished for building or proper shop keeping, allowing for greater times between resets.

I actually happen to live nearby Jimsthebooty which happened totally at random (using the /rp). Apparently we were both looking for a mega taiga. XD Jim was awesome though and we were able to make sure our builds didn't infringe on each other. I mention this not to be subversive but rather to display a totally random, 'luck of the draw' happening--the first I've ever had on the server. In years past I've only ever found the empty hulls of bases near my builds and never the players that built them. Maybe like me these players are drawn to the same Extreme Hills landscapes that I tend to choose, but for some reason they're not sticking around (which is something I know is being discussed and worked on). I don't mind the solitude, actually I prefer to have a solitary base, but definitely understand the people that like to live closer to each other or form a community. I think having a link to a live server map, maybe even showing currently online players, might be helpful for people looking to live more communally.

In conclusion, I would like to add a correlation that I believe may be worth considering: due to the single year lifespan the server currently has, perhaps more ambitious/build-centered players are dissuaded from sticking around. Out of the two friends I regularly interact with on the server, both are very interested in building and exploring and both are still actively building their places.

Cheers! :)

4. Wailwulf

Wailwulf

The more I am exploring, the more I feel the server world is way too large for the current population. Since starting this thread, I have run across numerous villages, witches huts, Desert Temples, and just land that has been untouched.

I have found over 8 villages, 5 all in close proximity of each other, that were completely untouched. Villagers were running around, Books were still in the library.

There have been at least 5 Wiches Huts where the Witch still resided with her Cauldron.

Three Desert Temples, unexplored, still with it's precious Dynamite.

And numerous times where I traveled in to landscapes and noticed waterfalls STARTing down the hillsides.

With this much unexplored land, why does one have to goto the Mineworld?

I seriously suggest, start with a smaller server world, like 30000x30000 total. In 2 weeks or a month, expand some if need be.

Was also wondering is one could create a server with villages without any villagers. That way one would have to either convert Zombie villagers, or go on slaving expeditions to Mineworld in order to populate the server world.

5. Lucrata

Lucrata

I see Mineworld as vital. A scarred landscape is no place to raise the spirit and sharpen the mind and will. (I should stress that I would find a lack thereof most disagreeable.)
    Merely because things are found, it may simply be because others take to the Mineworld, instead, as is honorable.

Clonegirl likes this.
  6. Clonegirl

Clonegirl

I find myself agreeing with Lucrata. I suppose my vast love for wide expanses of untread nature comes from my introversion. =p That doesn't make your wishes invalid though, Wailwulf. I've seen many players who seem to wish to live closer together or be able to bridge between people's builds. I think that perhaps a happy medium is the server hosting a real-time map of sections, if not the entire server. This would allow people to see where others were building and try to build closer to them. In this way, perhaps we can find a happy medium between the people who enjoy towns or living near to each other, and the people, like me, who enjoy finding unexplored, unmodified terrain to build their tiny houses on. :3 That's just me though.

7. Wailwulf

Wailwulf

1. I am not for getting rid of Mineworld. It is just that the current world is so huge, that there are players who might not feel to need to goto mineworld because of it.

2. I am suggesting at least, start much smaller, like the two previous servers did. At some point in time (like a month), expand the world, then a month or two more, expand again. This could be sped up if we get a higher than normal influx of players. This also gives the server room to expand if a patch comes out sooner then expected, like last years patch with the Llamas.

This is the third JW server I have been on. First one was two years ago, and there was only about 3 months or so before the server changed over. Most of that server had signs of habitation spread about.

Last year, there were still spots that were untouched, or mostly untouched. I found maybe two villages that seemed to be untouched towards the end of the season. Or there was notice of some one had done some exploring, but the land was relativley unexploited.

This past few weeks I have found whole regions with numerous villages, witches huts, desert temples, along with water falls being created in front of me since No One had ever been in the area until me.

A smaller server to start would allow for people to end up closer together and get to know each other. Last year that happened and my neighbor and myself went on some adventures together, we helped each other on our builds, and when the purge came, he blew my place up with his TNT.
    1st month, start with a 20,000x20,000 server, 2nd month increase it to 30,000x30,000, 4th month increase it to 40,000x40,000. If a minor patch comes out, or it is decided because the server is really hopping, increase the server size when the full match comes out, expand again and run for another year.