BuyTemp/Money-sink ideas

Discussion in 'General' started by Lucrata, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Lucrata

Lucrata

Greetings...

Now, which pieces of thoughts were there to assemble...?

Buytemp: In it's current model, the ephemeral BuyTemp shop is divded betwixt Tokens and coins as it's consumed value. Tokens are extremely difficult to come across, for presence-limited ones like myself, that sets them aside as being the Dysprosium of greater value than nigh anything else. That places their use wholly out of the question.

Economy is ever the issue squirming beneath the living tissues of the Server, nibbling among concerns and growing in unseen places. Not a living substance easily placated.

(Costs of any suggested items, especially with proposed changes to the economy noted elsewhere, would obviously have to be adjusted accordingly.)

So... I, for one, prefer items of personal expression. In my case, 'Lightning String' is used habitually in some cases. Sparingly, but for certain moments of character. This, I prefer. I am perfectly aware it is a decently costly thing to do, and I am fine with this.

Yet, as a function of Economy-regulation and giving the mass of us something to do with our abundant coins, I do not know the statistics of how much it serves it's purpose on the Server. However, can this instance be expanded?

Buytemp Ideas - Aestheics/Expression:
    I do quite like the Glowing effect - one does not see it themselves, yet it exists; currently the only manner of applying it to oneself is rather pathetic, yet alone short-lived. A temporary effect or potion-based item would be something I would easily invest in, for my own purposes; I imagine it should have a decent length of effect, perhaps the standard 'Extended' potion effect time of eight minutes. Perhaps longer. Perhaps there could be a subdivision of colors, if that is possible in the programming.

Like the Lightning String, perhaps others may prefer something to use for their expressive purposes? Disappear (with quick teleportation commands) in a burst of blue particles? What of fire? Smoke, maybe?

Buytemp Ideas - Utility:
    Mineworld is a place of gathering resources. This includes hunting of passive mobs and hostile ones alike. Landscape has a tendency to obscure mobs... Is there a way to allow one to (perhaps through the Glowing effect) be made to 'highlight' various mobs, or perhaps a subdivision between passive and aggressive mobs? Maybe moreso by specific type even further? Would vulnerable players invest in these so as to have more awareness of dangerous mobs in the region while underground, perhaps? (Though I could see potential ways this may be abused, however minor.... Though as another thought, it may also be quite useful for people who are building,and wanting to find that blasted spot where they can hear zombies, which they couldn't find.)
    Should it be linked to a temporary item or potion-like effect, this would be quite desirable, and something worth investing in.

Would it be possible to buy potions that go one rank above the standard 'Level II' types? Strength and Speed come to mind. These would be another worthwhile thing to invest in, if one wishes.

Mining speed potions would be an advantage to many. Sure, there is Miner's Stew, but something more lasting would be a strong gravity.

Regards,
    Memento mori

2. Clonegirl

Clonegirl

These are good ideas! I completely agree with the need for tokens to be at least fractionally more achievable than they currently are (I currently have one, singular token that I have not used since the server restarted this past July :p). Even if they were dispensed towards people who supported others or for people who participated in server-wide 'quests', I think that making them more accessible is the first step to having more incentive to achieve and utilize them. I also agree with the player-based effects and being able to pay for a more permanent effect/effect causing item if one acquires enough tokens. This just makes more sense as tokens are not only rare and far between, but a gift from the Mods/Admins/Devs to players. I love the idea of players of all ranks being able to utilize effects such as smoke, lightning, fire...being able to create a dramatic, personal flair with rewards earned through skill and good behavior.

(Humbly offers further token exchange ideas.)

High token cost: Damage modifier (increased damage dealt by player), Health modifier (increase in player's total health), Staff of Flame (summons blazes to fight for you for 1 minute), Staff of Ice (summons Strays to fight for you), Staff of Charges (summons charged creepers to fight for you for 1 minute), Flamewalker effect (like Frostwalker, conjures flames where ever the player walks; these do no damage), the 'Witcher Vision' Lucrata mentioned though it can also be used for Giants and King Slimes,......

Low token cost (all should be either permanent/in constant effect or readily activated): Smoke effect (perhaps a special hotkey for the effect? Like shift + 3.), fire effect (utilizes the furnace flames effect to create a wreath of fire about the player), lightning effect (as Lucrata describes), shadow effect (despite torches or sunlight, player has a distinct aura of darkness about them), end effect (purple-circle-End-magic-things), Water effect (just use the blue particles or water bubbles), Colored particle effect (any colored particles like that of potions).....

3. Lucrata

Lucrata

Additional notes...

Buytemp Ideas - Expressive/Decorative:
    I see that the 'Tame any mob' nametag is present, but it costs what at this point are highly valuable tokens. While tokens are meant to be a higher-tier of expendable resource, I would see it far better that these be made a coin-based cost, instead, even if the price is somewhat considerable (at present values, say, 1000 coins or higher; I do not see this as a considerable amount, as a day's worth of voting, plus some mob-grinding effort, will yield this in a short while). If people wish to have large amounts of said mobs as pets or 'decorations' for the theme of their surroundings, so be it.

Now, the function of the current and precious 'Special Nametag' is not exactly clear. Will it render any mob passive? Second, can the nametag actually function to name the mob as well as render it passive, or will it simply have to remain 'Tamed?' Normal nametags used on aggressive mobs will name them, but render them aggressive, unfortunately.

Preferably in the new updates, it would be most valued if said mob was like this, that being, passive as well as named.
    Also, considering the potential expenses of such nametags, and the possibility of griefing, if added tracking is possible for mob kills, that would be an additional advantage.

Buytemp Ideas - Utility/Expressive:
    While not precisely relevant to most, it's quite easy to become attached to certain items or objects of sentimental value. Any items of Server-Enchantment cannot be Anvil-repaired indefinitely. Would it be possible, for considerable expense, to have certain items, on request, be 'reset' or respawned for continued use?

Along a similar line, would it be possible for certain items to also receive a colorized name or additional custom (though not necessarily item-affecting) name or line in their attributes? Many may not care for this, but for what we choose of presence and purpose, this would be meaningful.

I would easily understand if these factors accrue a steep cost. However, for people of a certain mien, this would be a valuable possibility.

Clonegirl and Blinksi like this.
  4. Blinksi

Blinksi

I like all the ideas a lot, I think buytemp is definitely in a need for some changes

Lucrata likes this.
  5. Clonegirl

Clonegirl

>"Tameable Mobs" perk: I agree completely. Token expenditure should be reevaluated to better service actual perks and token cost.

>"Special Nametag": This stumped me too. Like some of the commands listed in the 'help' section, I am not entirely clear on what some of these might do. Likewise, initially I believed that because it says "buy temp" I assumed that whatever was purchased would disappear after a while or something. :L

>"Repairable Server Specific Items": With the inclusion of shard-items (though I'm not 100% sure as to what these entail) I agree that there should be some sort of 'repair' purchase option for the buytemp. It bereaves me when a sturdy tool with an agreeable combination of enchantments becomes "too expensive" to repair or cannot be repaired at all. While I understand why this is done with certain items (i.e disallowing mending on a one-hit sword), I think that other items bearing a server-enchant should perhaps have that restriction lifted when one puts tokens toward a "server enchant anvil" or some such device to repair it. Especially since the notion of downsized/less accessible grinders is appearing, as well as these items becoming more rare perhaps.

>"Colorized Name": I especially love this idea. Again, it adds a great deal of individuality. I would even love the option to color items themselves.

6. Clonegirl

Clonegirl

Here is more (wacky) ideas from me:
    ~The ability to buy shouts (like the ones in Skyrim) from /buytemp. It could have the same effect and sound as the shockwave, flame, or blastipode effects already in place. However a shout does not emanate from a weapon but the player themselves. A few that would be cool in practice and relatively easy to incorporate: The Fus Ro Dah (explosive shout), fire shout, ice shout, speed, increased durability and attack (the dragon aspect one), disarming shout, the one that causes enemies to flee in fear, the storm call.....These could both be epic, practical, and hilarious. I would argue that these don't need to make people "too op" as is the fear. Most of the time, in the Skyrim game, the shouts would rarely outright kill the enemies but more so stagger them to make an opening for an attack. More and more I am liking the idea of having some way, like lightning string, to incorporate magic abilities for players.

7. Lucrata

Lucrata

Additional matter has slowly accumulated:

BuyTemp Ideas - Aesthetics: I have a certain propensity for keeping the Skeleton-kind about my lair. Some are additionally inflicted with Sleep, at least for the purposes of them not being aggressive to the few outsiders allowed there. Others, meanwhile, I can't bear afflicting thus and robbing them of the essence of life.

But, considering that certain Mobs may or may not be able to be made wholly non-aggressive through specialized nametags (ones which actually retain the name and also cancel hostility, I would hope), would there be mobs that we could purchase and equip with weapons? Armor? Even items?

It would be preferable and highly desirable, if so.

Slain named mobs: I have a shadowy inkling at the sudden disappearance of some of my precious 'honored guests' - Endermen. Some time in the past, true. But, is there or could there be a utility to detect if players have killed named mobs? This would be highly useful, and for the sake of justice against anyone who commits such ills, especially against mobs which may have had some sentiment and luck, coins, or concrete effort placed into them.

In due thought,
    Ars Moriendi

8. Clonegirl

Clonegirl

[greatly approves]
    I can see where this would be very helpful to not only your domain's usual characters but also personalities I often see in shops (such as the parrots or named witherbosses). I think this would be a cool touch if someone was doing a dungeon or other 'story map' on the server. If this is made possible I foresee myself making an army of Naczal somewhere sinister. :3